5 Easy Steps To Start Oil Painting Today
Oil Painting Tips For Beginners
I was afraid to try oil paints for a long time. It was difficult to find simple information to know what supplies to start with. Oil painting can sound very complicated, but it's really not. Here are five easy steps on how you can start oil painting today:
1. You need only three basic colours: yellow, red and blue. I started with cadmium yellow, alizarin crimson and phthalo blue. You can also get a tube of titanium white to mix into your colours if you want to make them lighter.
2. To thin down your paint, you will want to buy what is called an oil painting medium. A great medium to start with is Winsor & Newton Liquin. Liquin is a fast drying medium, so your painting will be touch dry the next day!
3. Get a good painting surface. If you pick a good quality canvas, painting will be so much easier. It is very hard to paint on a rough, cheap canvas. So I would recommend getting a smooth high quality paint surface for example Fredrix Belgian Linen paint boards.
4. Get a set of cheap synthetic brushes. You don't need to own expensive animal hair brushes when you start. I started by just buying a cheap set of synthetic brushes. You will learn what kind of brushes you like using as you paint more.
5. Know when to stop painting. I used to paint with acrylics, and with oil paints you have to learn when to let your painting dry between layers. When you feel that your paint starts to lift off the painting surface and it won't take any more paint, just let it dry over night and continue the next day.
And that's it! Just start putting paint on your canvas and start experimenting! Oil painting is so much fun, and there are so many different techniques and supplies to discover as you paint more.
Thank you for reading!